Food Acidity and YOU!
Here is a health check for you that you are probably not familiar with.
Remember what PH is? Maybe you haven’t heard of it since chemistry class in highschool. Or maybe you have a pool, and know about balancing the ph of the water? Well, our body’s aren’t that different. Human blood needs to be slightly alkaline with a ph of about 7.35 – 7.45. The range of ph goes from 1 to 14, 7 being neutral. Below 7.0 is acidic, above is alkaline.
So what will an acidic balance in our body do? It decreases the body’s ability to absorb minerals and other nutrients, decrease the amount of energy our cells produce, the ability for our cells to repair damage, decrease our body’s ability to purge heavy metals, tumor cells thrive in an acidic environment, and we are more susceptible to fatigue and illness. While a PH level of 7 is neutral, if our blood ph drops to just 6.9, we could potentially go into a coma, or die.
So what makes our body acidic?
Food! Certain types at least, and lately, the way most americans eat these days, our diets are pretty acid forming. From fast food, excessive meat consumption, soda and coffee, refined sugars and starches… all acid forming ‘foods’, if you can even call this stuff food. Too many drugs are used by americans, which are acidic. Artificial sweeteners are HIGHLY acidic. Do you put a splenda in your coffee every morning, thinking you are doing your body a favor? Other factors include emotional stress, toxic overload, immune reactions, and processes that deprive cells of oxygen and nutrients. When the body begins to go acidic, it compensates by pulling alkaline minerals, and if there isn’t enough food in your diet with this stuff, the body will start to pull it from your cells, building up acid. Not good.
So how do we combat that? In general, alkaline forming foods are fruits, veggies, beans, seeds and nuts… so you gotta eat more of those, and less of the other stuff!
So take some time and run through your diet. There is a chart I’ve included below that places foods with their body ph levels. Figure out if your body is getting enough alkaline forming foods. If not, well, you need to make a change unless you are interested in being sick more often. Maybe even getting cancer later in life? Yeah, some people are into that. Whatever floats your boat!
Moral of the story. Eat more vegetables, damnit. Just like your momma told you! Especially if you are eating a lot of meat! Try to time your nutrients so that you aren’t eating both grains and meat in the same meal, both being acid forming foods, which is giving your body a nice big dose of acid. And again, eat more veggies!
If you are doing p90x, you might be asking how this affects you and the p90x nutrition plan. Obviously, while doing phase 1 of the nutrition plan, you can be putting your body in a very acidic state. You will need to be battling this effect by eating plenty of veggies with your large amounts of protein, probably coming from meat. Try to get your small amount of carbs alloted in phase 1 fro non-grain sources. This goes for any of the phases, but you will obviously be eating grains, as they are a major source of carbs. Just keep in mind that it is ideal to not eat meat and grains in the same meal, and always offset the acidity gained from meat and grains by eating plenty of veggies. No matter how you spin it, eating more vegetables, as much as you want really, is going to get you better results. If you want a leg up on this, use shakeology, which will do alot to battle acidity in the body. Due to it’s high amounts of potent nutrients, it is most definitely alkaline.
Take some time to go through this list, and read the notes on the different foods.
|Alkaline: Meditation, Prayer, Peace, Kindness & Love||Acid: Overwork, Anger, Fear, Jealousy & Stress|
|Extremely Alkaline Forming Foods – pH 8.5 to 9.0||Extremely Acid Forming Foods – pH 5.0 to 5.5|
| 9.0 Lemons 1, Watermelon 2
8.5 Agar Agar 3, Cantaloupe, Cayenne (Capsicum) 4,
Asparagus 6, Endive, Kiwifruit, Fruit juices 7, Grapes
| 5.0 Artificial sweeteners
5.5 Beef, Carbonated soft drinks & fizzy drinks 38,
Beer 34, Brown sugar 35, Chicken, Deer, Chocolate,
|Moderate Alkaline – pH 7.5 to 8.0||Moderate Acid – pH 6.0 to 6.5|
| 8.0 Apples (sweet), Apricots, Alfalfa sprouts 9,
Arrowroot, Flour 10, Avocados, Bananas (ripe),
Berries, Carrots, Celery, Currants, Dates & figs
(fresh), Garlic 11, Gooseberry, Grapes (less sweet),
Grapefruit, Guavas, Herbs (leafy green), Lettuce
(leafy green), Nectarine, Peaches (sweet), Pears
(less sweet), Peas (fresh sweet), Persimmon,
Pumpkin (sweet), Sea salt (vegetable) 12, Spinach
7.5 Apples (sour), Bamboo shoots, Beans (fresh green),
| 6.0 Cigarette tobacco (roll your own), Cream of Wheat
(unrefined), Fish, Fruit juices with sugar, Maple
syrup (processed), Molasses (sulphured), Pickles
(commercial), Breads (refined) of corn, oats, rice &
rye, Cereals (refined) eg weetbix, corn flakes,
Shellfish, Wheat germ, Whole Wheat foods 32,
Wine 33, Yogurt (sweetened)
6.5 Bananas (green), Buckwheat, Cheeses (sharp),
|Slightly Alkaline to Neutral pH 7.0||Slightly Acid to Neutral pH 7.0|
| 7.0 Almonds 17, Artichokes (Jerusalem), Barley-Malt
(sweetener-Bronner), Brown Rice Syrup, Brussel
Sprouts, Cherries, Coconut (fresh), Cucumbers, Egg
plant, Honey (raw), Leeks, Miso, Mushrooms, Okra,
Olives ripe 18, Onions, Pickles 19, (home made),
Radish, Sea salt 20, Spices 21, Taro, Tomatoes
(sweet), Vinegar (sweet brown rice), Water Chestnut
Amaranth, Artichoke (globe), Chestnuts (dry
| 7.0 Barley malt syrup, Barley, Bran, Cashews, Cereals
(unrefined with honey-fruit-maple syrup), Cornmeal,
Cranberries 30, Fructose, Honey (pasteurized),
Lentils, Macadamias, Maple syrup (unprocessed),
Milk (homogenized) and most processed dairy
products, Molasses (unsulphered organic) 31,
Nutmeg, Mustard, Pistachios, Popcorn & butter
(plain), Rice or wheat crackers (unrefined), Rye
(grain), Rye bread (organic sprouted), Seeds
(pumpkin & sunflower), Walnuts
Blueberries, Brazil nuts, Butter (salted), Cheeses
|Neutral pH 7.0 Ñ Healthy Body Saliva pH Range is between 6.4 to 6.8 (on your pH test strips)|
| Butter (fresh unsalted), Cream (fresh and raw), Margarine 26, Milk (raw cow’s) 27, Oils (except olive),
Whey (cow’s), Yogurt (plain)
NOTE: Match with the numbers above.
1. Excellent for EMERGENCY SUPPORT for colds, coughs, sore throats, heartburn, and gastro upsets.
2. Good for a yearly fast. For several days eat whole melon, chew pips well and eat also. Super alkalizing food.
3. Substitute for gelatin, more nourishing.
4. Stimulating, non-irritating body healer. Good for endocrine system.
5. Purifies kidneys.
6. Powerful acid reducer detoxing to produce acid urine temporarily, causing alkalinity for the long term.
7. Natural sugars give alkalinity. Added sugar causes juice to become acid forming.
8. Depends on vege’s content and sweetness.
9. Enzyme rich, superior digestibility.
10. High calcium content. Cornflour substitute.
11. Elevates acid food 5.0 in alkaline direction.
12. Vegetable content raises alkalinity.
13. Substitute for coca; mineral rich.
14. Winter squash rates 7.5. Butternut and sweeter squash rates 8.0.
15. Genuine fermented for 11Ú2 years otherwise 6.0.
16. Raw unpasteurized is a digestive aid to increase HCL in the stomach. 1 tablespoon, + honey & water before meals.
17. Soak 12 hours, peel skin to eat.
18. Sundried, tree ripened, otherwise 6.0.
19. Using sea salt and apple cider vinegar.
20. Contains sea minerals. Dried at low temperatures.
21. Range from 7.0 to 8.0.
22. Sprouted grains are more alkaline. Grains chewed well become more alkaline.
23. High sodium to aid digestion.
24. High levels of utilizable calcium. Grind before eating.
25. Alkalinity and digestibility higher.
26. Heating causes fats to harden and become indigestible.
27. High mucus production.
28. Mucus forming and hard to digest.
29. When sprouted dry beans rate 7.0.
30. Contain acid-forming benzoic and quinic acids.
31. Full of iron.
32. Unrefined wheat is more alkaline.
33. High quality red wine, no more than 4 oz. daily to build blood.
34. Good quality, well brewed – up to 5.5. Fast brewed beers drop to 5.0.
35. Most are white sugars with golden syrup added.
36. Organic, fresh ground-up to 5.5.
37. Cheaper brands drop to 5.0, as does over-indulgence.
38. Leaches minerals.
39. Bleached – has no goodness.
40. Poison! Avoid it.
41. Potential cancer agent. Over-indulgence may cause partial blindness.